Thursday, April 22, 2010

Snacktastic!

What inspired this post? I'll tell you what. It’s 10:30 am and I am not starving, but searching for a little something. That is me, the fast metabolizer, and maybe you too? Now that I have come to terms with this fact, I am ok with it, in fact, I embrace it because it gives me a reason to eat more food, which I LOVE doing. The trick with fast metabolizers is to eat the right foods, protein early in the day, not let yourself get too hungry (which usually results in making poor choices), and avoid blood sugar spikes and dips. What did I eat for breakfast this morning? I ate a serving (1/3 of a cup dry) of Bob’s Red Gluten-Free Rolled Oats topped with shredded coconut, flax seed, chia seeds, cinnamon, sunflower seeds, a few raisins, and a pinch of salt. It was delicious! Instead of waiting for lunch, which I could do but will be absolutely starving by then, I will have a snack now so when lunch time rolls around I can take some time to make a smart choice. Hmmmm, what should I snack on? 
Justin’s Organic Nut Butters have saved my life more than once. I keep them stashed in my work bag, my purse, and of course, the diaper bag. When I am out for the day with my son, I grab two (one for me and one for him). It is so important that mom remember to bring a snack for herself. 
What do I put it on? Usually and apple, celery or carrot sticks, or Mary’s Gone Crackers
What else serves as a good healthy snack? A handful of nuts and dried fruit. Make your own trail mix and experiment with different dried fruits, nuts, and seeds. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds both provide an excellent source of healthy fats and important nutrients to keep you energized and satisfied. Remember: fats and proteins take longer to digest allowing for a longer feeling of satisfaction. Carby and sugary items give you a quick jolt and then burn off, leaving you hungry, grumpy, and tired. Combine those nuts and seeds with some dried fruit and you are satisfied, fueled, and ready to move ahead. I try to make keep a jar full of random trail mix available at all times. 
What if you truly don’t have time for any of these things? If you have to bust out a bar, go for a Larabar. Larabars are made from real, whole foods. It’s the equivalent of that jar of dried fruits and nuts that you forgot to fill in your pantry. 
Now your tired of veggies, fruits, and nuts? Try a turkey cheese roll-up, a little yogurt with a few berries, or a hard-boiled egg if so inclined. The most important thing to remember is don’t let yourself get so hungry that you make poor choices. 
If you want to know more about why these snacks are good for you, nutrients they provide, or additional ideas for snacks that cater to your specific needs, contact me directly.
Tip: keep those dips available. Keep a jar of Raw Cashew Dip or Hummus (see previous posts) available in fridge at all times. Why? Adds protein to any carbohydrate, allowing for slower digestion and increased satiety. 

Tip II: There are some folks out there who forget to eat. It so important to keep your blood sugar levels steady throughout the day. If you forget to eat and you think you are a fast metabolizer, try setting your cell phone alarm to go off 4-5 hours after each meal. Or, more often to remind you to snack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment