Monday, January 25, 2010

Get the Kids Cooking

OMG! I cannot tell you how much my almost-two-year-old LOVES to help cook. I have to admit, at first it was a bit frustrating - dangerous, standing on chair, grabbing stuff, etc... Then I realized that instead of keeping him from touching everything I should give him his own equipment and let him cook too. I often give him a plastic bowl, bamboo spoon, and some water and oats to stir up. Whatever (safe) ingredients I add into my bowl, I give him a little sprinkle as well.

After mommy learned her lesson by watching her beloved son step off the chair and crash and burn on the kitchen floor, I finally decided to purchase a Learning Tower. Not cheap, but you can find them on ebay for ok prices, and kind of worth it if you have a chef boyardee like I do. If you go this route, make sure you get the one with the adjustable platform so they can use it for many years. It can also be used for puppet shows, forts, or just a fun climbing structure.

So, here is a classic recipe from the timeless Moosewood Cookbook. These pancakes are loved by all, good for any meal, and so nutritious!

Cottage Cheese and Apple Pancakes

MeasureIngredient
4 Eggs; separated, see note
1 cupCottage cheese; lowfat
1 cup(packed) grated tart apple
¾ cupWhole-wheat flour (or alternative)
1 teaspoonLemon juice; or more
1 tablespoonHoney; optional
½ teaspoonCinnamon
½ teaspoonSalt
2 tablespoonsFinely minced walnuts; or almonds, optional
Oil or butter; for frying -Optional Toppings---
Real maple syrup
Sour cream or yogurt
Beat the egg whites until stiff. Combine all other ingredients (except toppings and frying oil) in a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Fold in the egg whites. Heat oil or melt butter in a skillet. When it is hot enough to sizzle a drop of batter on contact, add spoonfuls of batter. Fry on both sides until firm and lightly browned. Serve right away, topped with syrup, sour cream or yogurt.

Note: YOLKS are optional-use all, some, or none.

Each serving provides: Calories, 348; Protein, 18 g; Carbohydrates, 35 g; Fat, 16 g; Sodium, 564 mg; Cholesterol, 213 mg; Dietary Fiber, 2 g.

I would also like to take this opportunity to plug one of my favorite recipe books that contains accessible, delicious, nutritious foods for the entire family: Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. She also has a fun blog worth checking out.

Enjoy your pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment